Today on the podcast:
Toni Okamoto is the founder of Plant-Based on a Budget, the popular website and social media platform that teaches millions how to save money by eating veggies.
She’s also the author of the Plant-Based on a Budget Cookbook, and the co-host of The Plant-Powered People Podcast.
Her work has been profiled by NPR, NBC News, Parade Magazine, and she’s a regular presence on local and national morning shows across the country, where she teaches viewers how to break their meat habit without breaking their budget.
She was also featured in the popular documentary What the Health and her Instagram account has over 560k followers.
- 06:44 The biggest obstacle many of us face when it comes to healthy eating
- 11:37 Letting the benefits of a plant-based diet speak for themselves
- 15:45 What inspired her to go plant based
- 16:53 Overcoming the stigma attached to veganism
- 18:55 How living below the poverty line as a young adult affected her commitment to eating plant-based
- 21:14 The difference between saving time and money in the kitchen, which is more challenging and which should take priority
- 23:30 The time-saving food tips that have helped her the most
- 26:30 Addressing basic cooking questions
- 28:27 Going plant-based for the long-term
- 30:56 The importance of support and preparation
- 35:45 A different way to think about “eating more vegetables”
- 38:22 Finding a strong why for going vegan
- 41:08 Dealing with having to go to the bathroom so much because of the increase in fibre
- 43:46 The stories behind her recipes and why emotional ties can impact your food relationship
- 45:46 What to expect from Toni’s new book
- One of the biggest obstacles people face when it comes to eating healthier is a lack of education around nutrition. One of the most important things to know in the first place is that this is not a journey of elimination and restriction, but rather curiosity and expansion. Change your environment and connect with like-minded people to share the journey with you so that you can discover healthy foods that you actually enjoy eating over and over again.
- If you also want to take on a plant-based diet, you may find it a bit difficult to find a community that supports your lifestyle. With that in mind, it’s vital to figure out why this choice is so important to you. Get clear on the long-term benefits of a plant-based diet, not just what you’ll be getting out of it today. And don’t impose your new diet onto people in an effort to help them understand your decisions. Just live it out and let the benefits speak for themselves. Attitude is really the difference-maker when it comes to settling into a new lifestyle.
- Meal planning is essential, no matter your budget nor how busy you are. For those who are particularly tight on money, knowing your meals for the week and committing to that plan will prevent you from making impulsive purchases. No matter how much importance you place on healthy eating, always fall back on systems over willpower to keep your lifestyle going for the long-term.
Powerful Quotes by Toni
- It can be really beautiful to share your food with people.
- It is incorrect to say that this is a lifestyle based on elimination and restriction. I have opened my eyes to a world of beautiful, colorful, amazing international cuisine.
- It is not a burden to eat healthy. It actually is a burden to not eat more plant foods. Right now, you may not experience the consequences that come later in life, but they are really severe.