Today on the podcast:
Dean Karnazes is an ultra-marathon runner, professional speaker and best selling author of several books including Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner, Road to Sparta: Reliving the Ancient Battle and Epic Run That Inspired the World’s Greatest Footrace and Run!
He was named one of the Top 100 Most Influential People in the World by Time magazine and I’m so grateful to have been able to get one of the greats in the world of ultra running on the podcast. On top of all the unbelievable things he’s achieved, he’s also an incredible guy; I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed recording it.
Here are just some of the topics we covered today.
- Leaving a soul destroying but well paid corporate job at age 30 to start running.
- Using intermittent fasting to develop mental strength for ultramarathons
- Ordering pizza and having it delivered on the side of the road during a 199-mile run!
- How your inner circle and personal relationships are the keys to any success.
- Developing the mindset of getting comfortable being uncomfortable
Just to give you an idea on some of his crazy achievements. Check out the list below.
- Running 350 miles in 80 hours and 44 minutes without sleep in 2005
- Running a marathon to the South Pole in −25 °C temperatures without snowshoes in 2002
- Ran a marathon in each of the 50 US states in 50 consecutive days in 2006
- The winner of Badwater Ultramarathon, 135 miles race across Death Valley in 49 °C temperatures in 2004.