Today on the podcast:
In this episode, Brian speaks with Eoin Costelloe, an online personal trainer who specializes in diabetes. He’s been living with Type 1 Diabetes since 2012, and he knows how difficult life can be with the condition.
Over the years he has dedicated his life to learning everything there is to know about diabetes and he has discovered the formulas to implement into his lifestyle that ensures he lives a happy and healthy life with the condition.
His goal online is to help people do the same and show them that diabetes should never stop you from reaching your full potential.
Listen is as Eoin discusses how to avoid victim mentality if you’re diabetic, the importance of mindset for the challenges that choose us, the biggest misconceptions around diabetes, his typical day of eating and food recommendations for diabetics, managing cravings as a diabetic, his advice to his 19-year-old self, and much more.
Today’s episode is sponsored by:
Hemp Heroes You can find hemp Heros products online at hempheros.ie or hempheros.co.uk and if you use the code BRIANK10 it will give you 10% off your order and free shipping for orders over €54.
- 04:47 Eoin’s journey in the world of health and fitness
- 06:39 The difference between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- 10:09 Eoin’s mindset when he was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 19
- 15:02 Common misconceptions around Type 1 Diabetes
- 19:36 Adopting the “dominating your diabetes” philosophy
- 23:58 Shifting the victim mentality
- 28:11 Nutritional guidelines for a Type 1 diabetic
- 33:21 Managing cravings as a Type 1 diabetic
- 38:54 How Eoin sets health and fitness goals
- 43:18 How Eoin consumes information to expand his expertise
- 46:24 Why Eoin started his podcast
- 49:32 What Eoin would tell his 19-year-old self
- 52:14 What Eoin is most excited about right now
- Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease that you cannot prevent, while Type 2 Diabetes is often brought on by an unhealthy lifestyle that has made you either overweight or sedentary. The conditions which lead to Type 2 Diabetes can also be hereditary. Type 1 is entirely insulin-dependent. In Eoin’s case, he has to take insulin with every meal. Type 2, depending on its severity, can be treated simply by adopting new lifestyle choices, including better food, more activity, and oral medications. More severe cases of Type 2 may require insulin injections.
- A big step towards adopting the “dominating your diabetes” mindset is accepting your reality. For Type 1 diabetics in particular, understand that this is a condition that you just have to live with. It’s an unfortunately reality, but better to own that reality rather than let your negativity towards it grow and affect every other aspect of your life. Having a victim mentality won’t change your reality. In fact, it will only make it worse. Living with Type 1 Diabetes is more psychological than it is physical, because you live with it every hour of every day. “Your victim mentality isn’t going to cure your diabetes,” says Eoin. “The only thing you can do is to learn about it, learn how to accept it, and learn how to dominate it. As long as your positives are outweighing your negatives, that’s always the main thing.”
- Keep your head up, stay patient, and never stop learning. Whether you’re diabetic or, really, going through any type of hardship, always make sure that you have a goal for the day, in addition to having a long-term goal. Learn to live with whatever you can’t control, and work to have mastery over what you can control which always includes how you react to your environment.
Powerful Quotes by Eoin
- Diabetes is a condition that is so widely known but widely unknown at the same time.
- No matter what happens to you in life, you either adapt or you die.
- Type 1 Diabetes isn’t caused by eating too much sugar.
- Don’t be too restrictive with your diet; otherwise you won’t be able to maintain it for any extended period of time.
- I built my diabetes around my routine and I’ve built my routine around my diabetes.
- I will always have things that I want to do, but I will always make sure I do more than I expected to do.
Online personal trainer
I’m a Diabetic Personal Trainer from Ireland. I’ve been living with Type 1 Diabetes since 2012 and I certainly know how difficult life can be with the condition. Over these years I have dedicated my life to learning everything there is to know about Diabetes. I have discovered the formulas to implement into my lifestyle to ensure a happy, healthy life with the condition. I want to help you do this, too! Diabetes should never stop you from reaching your full potential. Let’s turn a negative, into a positive!