Today on the podcast:
Dr. David Sinclair is a professor of genetics and co-director of Harvard Medical School’s Center for Biology of Aging Research.
He is also the author of the great book Lifespan: Why We Age and Why We Don’t Have To and the host of the podcast Lifespan with Dr. David Sinclair that covers topics such as the science behind why we age and interventions for slowing and even reversing aging.
Time Magazine has him as one of the 100 most influential people on earth and we packed so much incredible content into this podcast.
If you are interested in longevity, health, looking or feeling better and how to reduce aging, this one is not to be missed.
- 05:57 The past of aging and lifestyle research
- 08:03 Why our genes need adversity in order for them to respond positively
- 10:51 Early changes David made to increase his longevity
- 14:17 The quickest, easiest thing you can do today to live longer
- 16:56 The major misconceptions around aging
- 21:25 David’s anti-aging regimen and anti-aging supplements to look into
- 26:51 The game-changing way David improved his skin
- 29:03 What David is most excited about in his field right now
- 33:14 The future of aging research
- 36:02 Using exercise, heat and cold as acute stressors for longevity
- 32:57 His top eight tips for living a longer and younger life
- 38:12 What David is most excited about personally
- There is no one thing or fast lane to greater longevity. That said, the quickest, easiest thing you can do to live longer starting today is to eat less often. That means having one or one-and-a-half meals a day. Try not to eat too late in the day, skip breakfast or dinner if you can, and drink a lot of fluids.
- The aging process is due to a loss of information that we have when we are young. This is not the genetic information; rather, this refers to the “readers” of the DNA called the epigenome. The inability to read genes is the main cause of aging.
- Do these things to gain an average of 14 extra years of life: “lose your breath” at least three times a week, do 10,000 steps a day, get enough sleep, have friends or a pet or even just your partner around to give you regular company, eat less often, limit your meat intake, expose your body to hot and cold therapy, and take the right supplements (as listed in David’s book, Lifespan: Why We Age and Why We Don’t Have To).
Powerful Quotes by Dr. Sinclair
- Hunger isn’t real. Hunger is just a hormone in your blood that’s telling your brain that it wants you to eat, even if you don’t need to. It’s just psychological.
- Most people don’t realize that our body has enormous capacity to heal and live longer if we just treat it the right way.
- Aging is a disease, and that disease is treatable.
- The aging process is due to a loss of information that we have when we are young.
His website / Podcast
David Sinclair, PhD